Rich Freeman posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 13:52:58 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 1:40 PM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On 10/19/2015 07:37 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>>
>>> However, stabilizing a single package really is an impactful change.
>>> The fact that you're doing 100 of them at one time doesn't really
>>> diminish the impact of each one.  Any of them could break a system or
>>> need to be reverted.
>>>

>> Since when do we allow reverting stabilization? The package needs to be
>> fixed and possibly revbumped instead.
>>

> It would really depend on the nature of the break.  If it is a serious
> upstream problem and no fix is available, then reverting might be the
> only practical solution.  It is of course not a preferred solution.

Didn't a semi-minor arch (arm, AFAIK) recently revert a major lib
stabilizing, as it was clearly broken on at least some arm variants, the
maintainer that did it either didn't consult with the arm-arch folks or
signals got crossed and he stabilized without approval, and it was caught
within an hour or less, such that the quickest and most effective way to
fix the breakage was to do an immediate revert, before even figuring out
a more long term fix?

The commit log said something like, "Not trying to be rude, but this is
the quickest way to limit the damage", and within just a few days (two?),
the package and several deps were stabilized by the arch team in
question, properly this time, with fixes as appropriate to keep whole sub-
archs from breaking as they were doing with the previous stabilization
attempt.

[So yes, this demonstrates the point someone made above about people
actually reading these things, too. =:^)  And I too have been frustrated
trying to do so, but IMO this is fixing the bit that's /not/ broken, not
what is.  More about that in a response I'll be posting elsewhere on-
thread.]