hasufell schrieb:
I've seen a lot of ebuilds lately that use 'openssl' USE flag for the
purpose of enabling ssl features. I think this should be discouraged
since it introduces inconsistency and is especially confusing for
packages like media-video/ffmpeg, where'd you expect to get ssl support
by having the global ssl USE flag enabled.

Furthermore, some packages have started to do things like
REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( openssl libressl )"
which is even more inconsistent now and will make it very hard for
people to switch to libressl without figuring out a lot of blockers,
since we have conflicting meanings of 'openssl' now. One uses it as a
feature flag, the other as a provider flag.

It has been discussed before how to map this to USE flags[1], but that turned out to be quite difficult. Especially if you want to express something like "this package must use the same crypto library as its dependency".

REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( openssl libressl )" is one way to make things easy for the ebuild developer, but nasty for the user.

For the users, the easiest way would be to set USE="openssl libressl" (or some USE_EXPAND) if they are fine with any of these, but this makes depending on a package which must be built e.g. against libressl and not openssl hard.

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn

[1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/3fd9df7fdd7ac976b87e4e15587bfa63