On 11/02/2015 01:00 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> On 11/02/2015 06:48 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>> In the dev-lang/php ebuilds, we currently have:
>>
>> Is there a way to say "give me any 4.x or 5.x slot"?
>>

> Is that necessarily a good idea? Given that the database formats are
> not compatible between versions without cleaning out the BDB
> environment files etc it seems like a source of conflict?

It depends on what the user needs it for. If somebody gives me a BDB
file and wants me to create a webpage listing its contents, then I need
to use whatever version of BDB the file's creator used.

If I'm writing a new application and just need to store some stuff, it
doesn't matter which version I have (so long as it doesn't change).

Using BDB with PHP is pretty rare from what I gather, but maybe somebody
has a crazy use case for it in Gentoo. The current dependency says "any
4.x version" so the least intrusive change to the ebuild would be to
retain that behavior or to extend it to allow any 4.x or 5.x version.