Fellow Developers!

I have the pleasure to announce that portage-2.2.25 has just been
committed and it comes with complete EAPI 6 support. This effectively
means that from this moment forward Gentoo developers are permitted to
commit EAPI 6 ebuilds to ~arch.

Some quick notes:

1. Remember that you can't stabilize ebuilds using EAPI 6. Therefore,
if you go for EAPI 6, you ebuild may be forced to stay ~arch for quite
a while.

2. The Portage implementation needs more testing and can be buggy.
Write ebuilds according to the spec, not Portage behavior or they will
fail.

2a. It just occurred to me that Portage does not fail when eapply_user
is not called. This is a bug, so make sure to call it or
default_src_prepare.

3. EAPI 6 is not a drop-in replacement for EAPI 5. Study it to use it
efficiently. Use it as an opportunity to improve the API of your
eclasses.

4. I've written an extensive guide [1] with some explanations
and rationale for many of the features. Consider it a must-read.

4a. We need someone to update the devmanual.

[1]:https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2015/11/13/the-ultimate-guide-to-eapi-6/

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny