On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 06:36:03PM +0100, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:

> On 11/25/2015 06:10 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I would like for us to discuss adding the sbin directories to PATH
> > for all users.
> >

> This sounds strange to me, if it should be executable by all users it
> likely shouldn't be in sbin in the first place but in bin. In any
> case; I don't see any good reason to change the traditional behavior
> of sbin only being in path for root.

This behaviour is not really that traddditional. most *nix's I've seen
have the sbin directories in the path for all users.

I wanted to open the discussion, because the fact that we remove sbin
from paths was cited on the bug I referred to as a reason I should keep
the patch that the prefix team applied to dev-lang/go.

My opinion is prefix should either fix their paths (include /sbin) even
though they are running unprivileged, or it would be better even if they
found a way to do the same test that did not require access to sbin and
contributed that to Go upstream.

William