On 01/04/2016 12:49 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:

> My understanding (which could be wrong) is that this update will break
> things even if the user never runs eselect php afterwards.  I can't
> tell you the last time I touched the php eselect module, because major
> updates to php are rare.

I was going to say "no, everything should keep working" but I decided to
test a fresh upgrade before sticking my foot in my mouth. Now I know
what people are complaining about.

If you've never touched 70_mod_php5.conf, portage will remove it when
you upgrade eselect-php. That does break an existing installation until
you've run `eselect php...` and munged -DPHP5 to -DPHP. What I intended
was for 70_mod_php5.conf to stick around until you've had a chance to
deal with the configuration change. In that case everything keeps
working until after you've run eselect.

I may be able to fix that by simply including the old 70_mod_php5.conf
for backwards compatibility.