On 02/27/2016 11:50 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 02:14:12PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> On 24/02/16 01:33, Duncan wrote:
>>> That option is there, and indeed, a patch providing it was specifically
>>> added to portage for infra to use, because appending entries to existing
>>> files is vastly easier and more performant than trying to prepend entries
>>> and having to rewrite the entire file as a result.
>> This sounds wrong in many different ways. The changelog files are tiny
>> and makes next to no difference truncate+write or append.
> Prior to seperating ChangeLog files into years, this was way worse:
> a kernel bump present in any of gentoo-sources, hardened-sources,
> vanilla-sources meant another 100k of data to sent. It's not a lot
> overall, but here's some quick stats from one of our rsync servers, on
> bytes sent.
[snip]

> So, now the question:
> If we use appending changelogs, the large changelogs only differ by a
> few hundred bytes. If we instead have to rewrite them, it's 50k+ per
> changelog.
from /usr/share/portage/config/make.globals:

PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times
--omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats
--human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local
--exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"

Notice the --whole-file part there.

> For each 50k changelog, the median transfer would get 0.25% larger.

Well, we could just have less changes ;)

160GB/day per server is about 2MB/s, ~16Mbit, or about 5TB/month. That's
still included in the 'free' bandwidth that el cheapo hosters like
Hetzner provide with their smallest servers ...