On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:42:04 +0200
Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > This was invented in Solaris and copied by RHEL. The upgrade
> > path for the /usr merge on those systems is a complete
> > reinstall. Upgrading from RHEL6 to RHEL7 this Solaris 10 to
> > Solaris 11 is not supported. The reason being that there are
> > ways of configuring the system boot process with the original
> > layout that break if you try using scripts to migrate to the new
> > one. A USE flag for the /usr merge that is off by default would
> > allow us to have both worlds without putting any systems at
> > risk.
>
> that's what i'm actually more worried about: the fact they failed to
> have a proper upgrade path doesnt mean it is impossible, just that it
> is not easy.

What about Fedora? This system I'm on now started as Fedora 16 and has
been upgraded step by step to 23. /bin, /lib, /lib64, and /sbin are
symlinks but I'm pretty sure it didn't start out that way. I knew the
change was coming but when it actually happened, I didn't notice for
quite a while.

--
James Le Cuirot (chewi)
Gentoo Linux Developer