Hi Philip,

On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 06:50:49PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> Can you or anyone else answer my other question re the origin of the thread ?
> -- ie is this a revival of not putting  /usr  on its own partition
> or is it a new proposal to alter the file system in some other way ?

The original discussion was about the usr merge [1], which is taking the
binary parts of / and putting them in /usr, then inserting symlinks in /
to preserve backward compatibility. Yes, I'm pointing to a document on
fdo, but the systemd guys have nothing to do with the /usr merge; it
originally happened in Solaris.

I never supported the reverse merge that has been discussed, it was just
brought up I guess as an example of a Gentoo user being able to do his
own setup. Reverse merge meaning moving everything from /usr to /.

The thread has definitely gotten more out of hand than I anticipated. It
is very hard at this point to separate the pros/cons, bikeshedding and
personal preferences. That's why I requested that someone assist with a
summary. :-)

William

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/