On Saturday, April 09, 2016 05:15:08 PM James Le Cuirot wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:09:38 -0400
>
> waltd...@waltdnes.org wrote:
> > > I never really got the mentality that using an initramfs is a
> > > burden.
> > >
> >   One more piece of software that can go wrong.  You have to
> >
> > maintain+configure it; e.g. sync software and library versions with
> > what's on the rest of the system.
>
> Errm, have you ever actually used dracut?
>
> dracut --kver 4.5
>
> Wow, that was hard! It requires zero configuration and that's true even
> if you've got LVM on top of LUKS on top of RAID or something equally
> complex. If you're already running that kernel version, you don't even
> need to specify it.

I actually write my own initramfs because neither dracut not genkernel end up
with a convenient boot system.

I have 2 disks, both encrypted.
I prefer only to enter the decryption password once. Both Dracut and Genkernel
insist on asking for the password/key for every single disk.

The ONLY reason why I feel an initramfs is warranted is because of the
encryption. Without that, it should not be necessary.

--
Joost