On 05/04/2016 06:46 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Jeroen Roovers <j...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> The solution is to have people with an actual interest in a specific
>>> architecture determine whether stabilising a package is viable, and
>>> taking sensible action, like dropping stable keywords where applicable.
>>
>> If these people do not actually exist or are not doing their job by
>> culling the depgraph appropriately, we should really drop a number of
>> archs from "stable" status.
>
> I mostly agree, modulo the comment about people "doing their jobs".
> Arch testing completely sucks.
>
> Having built many stages for an "unstable" arch (mips) has taught me
> one thing: it's awful being unstable-only. There's no end to the
> compilation failures and other such headaches, none of which have
> anything at all to do with the specific architecture.

Thats bad

> Short of adding a middle level ("stable, wink wink nudge nudge") where
> things at least compile, I think the current situation is actually

If it doesn't compile on at least one architecture (the one where the
dev is doing the work) it shouldn't be committed to the tree at all, no
need for a middle layer.

> significantly better than the alternative of dropping them to
> unstable.

In a perfect world compile testing wouldn't be sufficient for stable
either, it actually should be properly tested before releasing it on
users and testsuites are sadly lacking in many situations. Even worse
for GUI applications that can't easily be tested without actual user
interaction, but as long as we keep servers in good shape I'm not
necessarily too worried about those, and it is possibly easier to spot
than a miscalculation in a statistics library

Maybe a workshop to write more testsuites is a fruitful event at some
point in time..

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand
OpenPGP certificate reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net