Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
On Mon, 06 Jun 2016, Mart Raudsepp wrote:

Usually only two letter language codes suffice, but can be limited with
country codes with a 'll_CC' formatting, where 'll' is the language code
and 'CC' is the country code, e.g en_GB. Some rare languages also have
three letter language codes.

s/country code/territory code/g

Question related to this, do we take the opportunity to standardise
the values? Looks like the vast majority follows
language[_territory][@modifier] specified by POSIX [1] but some don't.

What do we do with locales that don't fit into this scheme? Catalan Valencian is one such locale. Packages currently use modifiers (ca@valencia) or ISO 3166-1 reserved area (ca_XV) or something entirely different (ca_valencia). ISO 3166-1:ES defines ES-VC as region code, so maybe ca_ES-VC would be best. Though a quick Google search didn't find any major usage of that either.

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn