On 06/08/2016 08:16 AM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:

Friends,

It would be wise of us to create a novel way of involving users from
the ashes of Sunrise.

Here is my suggestion: It would be fruitful to encourage every single
Gentoo user to have their own repository. And this repository should
be publicly available.

Folks can already do this on their own with github. Are you suggesting
individual githubs, under the 'gentoo umbrella'?

This way we can merge useful things from people, and they can submit
pull-requests if they have useful things that are not in the tree.
Before merging anything to the main tree, ebuilds should of course be
carefully reviewed. Users could also review each other's ebuilds to
ensure better quality ebuilds.

In fact, users of gentoo learning to review ebuilds (from other users)
is a good idea, particularly more in the 'application' or 'area of interest' as opposed core or gentoo-centric packages.

This could lead to a future where the Gentoo tree is largely
superseded. Every user would just have their own repository, where
they could pick and choose packages from other users. The Gentoo tree
would just focus on a high-quality repository of the basic/core things
that everybody needs. Gentoo devs would spend most of their time
maintaining curated small and useful repositories.

Sorry, I'm not buying into the 'utopia' scheme. The current gentoo::
user-->proxy-->dev pathway needs to become stronger. I your proposal as
complimenting that pathway, like this:: user-->strong_user-->proxy....
However, if/when utopia is achieved, sure I'll guzzle the koolaid.

While there is some work to be done to facilitate my suggestion, it
should be a lot less work than Sunrise was. What we need short-term is
simply documentation where we encourage users to have their own
repositories that are available online. Next up would be setting
Portage up to expect a user repository from the get go. The initial
personal tree could be fork of the Gentoo tree with a remote 'gentoo'
that they can pull from (emerge could do this automatically). This
way, users who do not care at all, can just use Gentoo like they do
today.

Too much power too quickly. I'd suggest a user, with an area of interest
that is under-served as to their package needs (java, clusters, science, etc) creates said github repo and starts cracking at packages. The grandiose-ness you propose should only come upon graduating from proxy school, imho. A dev actually can now get their own repo, via github, or a group of devs can work out of the same repo, as self-defined as to what works best.

The final step is the most difficult (but then again we might never
get so far). It is two-fold. First we make the core/base repository.
Then we identify important subsets that can be logically separated
into repositories, and do this.

Actually a different project, imho. Focus on strong-user-->proxy-->dev.

Parallel to all this, we should work on tooling. It is unreasonable to
expect people to be git experts to be effective. The workflows for
managing user repositories doesn't need the full power of git anyway.
It would also be good to offer hosting insofar as possible to a set of
curated repositories we consider to be of high quality.

Now you have just joined my chorus. Gentooers, are pretty much 'flung against the git-wall'. There is a gentoo way, but nobody of sufficient knowledge depth cares to create such tools and docs. It's not easy. Examples == {null set}.

Some have been revising the devManual, just to bring it current with all the changes. That is a challenging effort, because, the dev-manual is where the dev community must agree. There needs to be a proxy manual and development materials (I personally hate IRC as it is often ADD-noise).

Proper docs take a while to develop and even more effort to maintain.

In the end, Gentoo might make a gigantic leap into the future with a
truly modular distribution. If anyone wants to look at distros that
get this more right than Gentoo, have a look at e.g. NixOS and Exherbo.

If you agree with loosing the more grandiose ideas (for now) from above, I'll work with you as a test-grunt on developing documents and pathway training, on a modular basis following the
user-->strong-users-->proxy-->dev pathway.

I guess to sum it up, WE, work together via emails (create first draft
docs from emails), set up a github account, learn the necessary specifics of github-gentoo-kungfu, create manuals (several revisions of these new docs) and such so I can successfully graduate (pass the ebuild and postmortemproxy quizes) and become a candidate for dev status, without ever using IRC.

Note:: does not imply that I will apply for dev-status, or any requirement to be accepted as a dev, but that I am recognized, via accomplishments to @dev-status.

DEAL?

This means I create the cookbooks, (format?) based on our email discourse, and you play editor/mentor until you think I'm ready for dev-status. I'll have my own github (something on my todo list anyway). I'd even like this document/pathway to seemlessly reference the new gentoo devManual, frequently. If we are successful it means there will
be a (cook)book for self paced study for user==>dev, without the noise
of irc.

ps, I already completed the ebuild quiz and most of  the end-o-mentoring
quiz. The things not finished are in flux due to changes. Still, I have
holes in both my 'big picture comprehension of gentoo-bike-shedding,
git/github and general need to become a stronger coder (python).

INTERESTED?
James

What are your thoughts?
- --