Michał Górny schrieb:

2. Packages use REQUIRED_USE to force an appropriate choice.

That would be a policy violation. Packages should pick a reasonable
default if flags are conflicting, but not force users to micro-manage
their flags.

Who did establish that *idiotic* policy and why is he still
a developer? The whole *point of USE Flags* is to let people
micro-manage stuff. Picking up a random default makes flags
meaningless, confusing and makes it impossible to establish
appropriate USE dependencies.

I assume "micro-manage" means users maintaining extensive lists of per-package flags in package.use, which I agree with ulm is to be avoided.

Setting the USE flags once in make.conf would not qualify as micro-managing in my opinion.

There is an exception though, in cases where this breaks reverse USE dependencies, it may be allowed and necessary to use REQUIRED_USE[0].

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn

[0] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags/index.html#conflicting-use-flags