On 16/06/16 09:34, Daniel Campbell wrote:
> There is overhead in choosing which repositories you want to
> include in your 'upstream'. Even with an automated tool like
> layman, there's maintenance overhead. We'd need another tool to
> assist in discoverability, too. Let's say this idea takes off and
> we start with 100-200 user repos. It's meaningless to learn that
> there are that many repositories and list them (that's what layman
> currently does). What's important is getting a list of *which
> packages* those repos have, even if it's one-by-one and cat'd to a
> file.
>
> Even if that is written, it adds yet another facet to system
> administration.
I'm not convinced it will be a big amount of work, and I'm doubly not
convinced most people will have *any* amount of work, as I expect most
people do not care. (I would however be pleasantly surprised to be
proven wrong.) They will start out with the Gentoo repositories, and
only venture outside if they are aspiring devs, powerusers, or have
some specific need that an overlay satisfies. If we have a useful
website (and improved CLI layman-like tool for those who have
webophobia), the complexity of assessing which overlay to use should
be exclusively derived from actual assessment, not being bogged down
in a hodgepodge of unreasonable tools. We should also have some way of
measuring popularity, and let users show appreciation for
repositories, so that there is a way to determine 'this is a top rated
repository that many people use'.

But, yes, unequivocally yes, there is an added level of system
administration for those who choose it! I just happen to think it is a
*desirable* addition for those who end up choosing it.

> Okay, and who chooses which ones get curated? Developers? The
> whole goal of this decentralization, from what I gather, is
> community. If developers are overseeing it all, it adds overhead to
> developers and doesn't really foster community control or support.
I think it is a good idea to have our developers perform reviews and
quality assurance.

> If the goal is community then it should be *community curated*,
> which means it can exist entirely outside of Gentoo's infra and we
> shouldn't have to care about it. Why do Gentoo devs need to curate
> it if the aim is community control? In fact, that's already
> possible right here, right now.
At first, I envision *community-assisted development* rather than our
immediate retirement and holiday in the sun. It would however be good
to aim *towards more community control*. Maybe in the future, instead
of having a KDE team we have just one person or two (volunteers like
now) who are performing a bit of review, QA, and coordination, of a
small repository. Then perhaps in a more distant future it is entirely
community driven. Stranger things have happened... But I would be
happy to see the preceding success story, even if we don't get all the
way.

> I'm not against the idea per se, but at the same time I don't see
> why it's the responsibility of developers to make this sort of
> thing happen. It's not a trivial thing we can mark off in a
> checklist. However, there are enough tools in the Gentoo toolbox to
> make such a thing happen -- if the community wants it. And if they
> want it, they can build it. We don't do anything, to my knowledge,
> to stifle the growth of community repositories.
I think we do a poor job of fostering the growth of community
repositories, outside of making them possible in the first place. The
latter is good, of course, and kudos to everyone who's worked on it.
But it would be interesting to take it a step further and properly
facilitate these repositories.

And, again, modular repositories from our side, would make this that
much more desirable. (And modularising the Gentoo tree is obviously
our responsibility.)
- --
Alexander
berna...@gentoo.org