On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 09:05:59 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
[...]
> I think this is just one more reason that "power users" should
> seriously consider just syncing from git.  It is really useful to have
> a git repo, and once you have one, it is going to be a lot faster to
> just use it as your daily driver since it syncs so quickly/etc.

A bit of warning here: gentoo.git tree doesn't contain commits
prior to git migration, thus can't be used as a full attic on its
own. However, historical git repo can be grafted[1] to gentoo.git.
Resulting tree will be quite large and slow for some operations
(like git log), but will be the real attic.

Thus I usually have three trees on my dev boxes:
/usr/portage
~/gentoo
~/gentoo-full

[1]