On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 02:45:20PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> Symlinking /proc into /etc/hostname is still useful because it not
> only handles container hostnames (keep in mind that two containers
> could share the same /etc), but it also covers cases where the
> hostname changes, and it doesn't require writing to etc (which in
> general shouldn't be used to store state).
>
> The people who are saying /etc/hostname shouldn't really exist are
> completely right.  However, if for whatever reason we did want to
> provide it for compatibility (just like mtab), then a symlink to /proc
> at least ensures it returns the same answer as the system call.

My understanding of /etc/hostname is it is a widely used standard for
storing the name of the host and it is used to set the name of the host
on bootup. I just ran a google search of /etc/hostname, and it gets a
number of hits.

Here is what I'm looking at in OpenRC:

I am planning to change the logic in /etc/init.d/hostname so that if
/etc/hostname exists, the first word out of that file will be used as
the hostname rather than any setting in /etc/conf.d/hostname. If you
don't want /etc/hostname, just don't create it and the settings from
/etc/conf.d/hostname will still be used.

It turns out this has nothing to do with the Docker situation I brought
up. Whether or not a docker container should be able to access the
hostname of the host it is running on is a separate question.

William