What patches were you thinking are needed for a live CD?
I would expect that either a vanilla or gentoo kernel would handle
being on a live CD without problems.
What is giving you trouble that you are aiming for 4.8-rc6, I have not
seen many problems.  Though the most recent gentoo live CD will hang
one of my machines due to radeon driver in the 3.14.14 kernel not accessing
I/O correctly ( it did not use the access functions just dereferenced a
pointer).
The only other quirk I remember off the top of my head is the 2nd required
initramfs that the netboot kernel target needs, but even that works with a
empty file.

>released for this kernel, and hacking up the kernel eclass for 4.8-rc6
>doesn't seem like the right way to go. So i was looking for some input
>on the best way to do this.
>
>The first thing that comes to mind is to make a vanilla-sources ebuild
>for 4.8-rc6 and use that in the spec file. Then after doing a

Are you following some set of instructions on building stages and a live CD?

>livecd-stage1 put the genpatches in /etc/portage/patches/... and let the
>epatch_user interface take care of the rest.
>
>Does anyone have any better ideas?

Jim McMechan