Yes, I also wouldn't want to sacrifice something as relevant as the default
Shell interpreter.
I quickly checked other GNU/Linux distributions and even on Arch Linux Bash
4.3 seems to be the newest stable version.

Would it be OK to have the real stable version (now, Bash 4.3) as slot :0
and a single testing version (now, Bash 4.4) as slot:1 in addition to
needing the "~amd64" flag?

I believe the main problem comes from /bin/bash and potential symlinks that
would need to be introduced as part of  the slotting.

Best regards,
Andy