On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Kent Fredric <ken...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 13:28:04 +0800
> konsolebox <konsole...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess that's another good way to solve the readline issue (when it
>> comes to bash).  But I'd prefer that it's not done automatically.
>> Instead we should add a formal use flag like 'installed-readline'.  We
>> can add it to release versions of bash ([[ ${PV} != *_rc* ]] &&
>> IUSE+=' +installed-readline'), and enable it by default.  Then we
>> change all `[[ ${PV} != *_rc* ]]` condition checks to `[[ ${PV} !=
>> *_rc* ]] && use installed-readline`.  `${PV} != *_rc*` probably should
>> also be `${PV} != *_alpha* && ${PV} != *_beta* && ${PV} != *_rc*`.
>> (See attached file for POC.)
>
> Conventionally, it would be better to have IUSE=" +system-readline"
>
> Though I'd probably opt for
>
> IUSE=" system-readline"
>
> As the default for development versions.
>

>    if [[ ${PV} != *_rc* ]]; then
>       IUSE+=" system-readline"
>    else;
>       IUSE+=" +system-readline"
>    fi

I actually don't like the idea of enabling or disabling
"installed-readline" based on the `${PV} != *_rc*` condition.  If a
user would want to explicitly enable "installed-readline" globally,
how would he make sure that it only affects the release version of
bash?  I suggest that we just don't entertain the flag (and not make
it available) if the ebuild is not targetting a release version, and
not use the readline installed by the system by default.  No one would
need a non-release version of bash compiled against a system readline
anyway.

I also thought using 'system-' prefix is confusing.  Does that mean
the system of the machine, or the system of the application?  In
firefox, I once thought that system-* means packages bundled within
it.  Perhaps I misread, or perhaps it was changed.  At that time,
descriptions of use flags were not widely provided yet so I could only
guess it based on how I built the packages.

But I don't really mind which one is used.  I also just thought
'installed-readline' is better since it configures
`--with-installed-readline`, so one can simply have `$(use_enable
installed-readline)` if applicable.

--
konsolebox