I broke the thread, because grub-2 configuration is an interesting
topic, but I think it deserves a separate thread from the removal of
grub-0 discussion.

On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 03:57:25PM +1300, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 22:22:12 -0400
> Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > How do you generate your grub-0 config files?
>
> I didn't, it came as a stock example file with comments which I edited
> in a minimal fashion until it worked.
>

> > You can just use the same method to generate the grub-2 ones...
>
> No, I regenerated it with mkconfig, replacing the file.
>
> The new file has a whole lot of stuff I don't understand, and direct
> editing of it terrifies me to an extent because there's no clear
> explanation of what half of it does.
> Hence, my exposition.
>
> I am thus mostly just relying on mkconfig now and crossing my fingers.

That's what I've been doing, and it works pretty well.

I can tell you a bit of how it works. It uses the settings in
/etc/default/grub along with the templates in /etc/grub.d to generate
grub.cfg. You can tweak a lot of what gets generated by tweaking the
settings in /etc/default/grub.

You don't have to use grub-mkconfig. You can write /boot/grub/grub.cfg
by hand if you want, and it appears that the syntax is documented in the
grub info pages.

William