On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 06:04:38 -0500
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> What you really want is another template file.

I'd be happy with that. See the other thread with "grub-2" In the title.

> I'm happy with mkconfig, but I did hand-roll my config files before
> that.  The docs are out there.  However, for whatever reason, it is
> very hard to find examples of simple config files online.  The
> official docs try to point you in the direction of mkconfig, and since
> 99% of linux users don't configure their own grub there isn't much
> alternative documentation (and when a distro's solution does break the
> solution usually is based on mkconfig anyway).

Yeah, the only reason I suggested "a tool" instead of "a template" is
that perhaps there could be a handful of easily detectable things that
generate a more optimal "initial" template.

Particularly with regards to getting the hard-drive numbers and stuff
right, that's what always concerns me.