My main concern in this thread, is that I don't want anything swept under
the rug in such a way that a wider issue is masked that actually needs
dealt with anyway.

Examples:
* A workaround to deal with a bug, especially one filed on b.g.o
  - What happens if/when the bug gets fixed?  Won't the workaround need
removed?
  - If the bug is serious enough, a workaround
* An upstream problem
  - Upstream might want (or need to be coaxed) into taking a fix
* Anything common to more than one package`

Routine workarounds, like stuff on gentoo that works differently from
upstream (aka build process mangling) probably doesn't count.