On 10/19/2016 02:10 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>> On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 21:45:05 -0500
>> Matthew Thode <prometheanf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>>> Does pram allow you to pass options to git
>>> am (signedoffby for instance)?
>
>> It doesn't presently allow arbitrary arguments, and it would
>> probably be wise to avoid need for such arguments and prefer
>> convention over configuration, given what this is.
>
>> --signoff is already a default:
>
>> https://metacpan.org/source/MONSIEURP/Gentoo-App-Pram-0.003000/lib/Gentoo/App/Pram.pm#L71
>
> Maybe I have missed something, but why would one use --signoff for
> a Gentoo commit?
>
> For Linux (the kernel), the meaning of the line is that the
> contributor certifies the DCO (Developer's Certificate of Origin) [1].
> As we don't have a Gentoo DCO, it is not at all clear to me what the
> meaning of a Signed-off-by: line would be in the context of the gentoo
> tree.
>
> Even worse, I see commits having Signed-off-by: lines with obvious
> pseudonyms instead of a real name, which would be meaningless even if
> one would say that the Linux rules apply. (Also, we have the rule that
> real names must be provided for all developers, with no exceptions to
> be made for people doing copyrightable work [2].)
>
> Ulrich
>
> [1]
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/SubmittingPatches?id=dca22a63fd036c3ebb50212060eba0080f178126#n428
> [2]
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Recruiters#What_does_the_recruitment_process_involve.3F

The way I understood "signed off by" for Gentoo is "I am a developer who
looked at the code and tested it, confirming it works on my system". If
an AT signs off, they are certifying that it passes their test muster.

It's a more formal "looks good to me", and provides a point of
accountability if the commit _isn't_ up to par.

--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net