William L. Thomson Jr. posted on Sat, 29 Oct 2016 20:48:33 -0400 as
excerpted:

> Its a slippery slope Gentoo is going down. The lack of man power causes
> many things to go un-maintained. I will not comment on tree-cleaning
> being right or wrong. Essentially what is taking place at a high level
> is packages over all are being whittled down package by package due to a
> lack of man power.
>
> Eventually it could reach some equilibrium that the amount of packages
> is reduced to match the amount of man power to maintain. However it also
> runs the risk of another downward spiral side effect.

AFAIK, "whittling down" is an illusion, likely due to the fact that tree-
clean candidate packages are announced in threads like this, while new
packages are simply added without fanfare.

At least, in my decidedly informal and less-than-rigorous tracking,
pretty consistently whenever I've actually checked the weekly package
add/remove list as posted right here to -dev, the count of added packages
regularly exceeds the count of removed packages.

For anyone who cares enough to check, of course, it should be quite
possible to either total up the lists from the weekly add/remove notices
for a year, or to simply grab a historical tree from somewhere, even just
the first git import tree, and check the number of packages there against
the number in a current tree.

But it is my decidedly not rigorously tested but generally observed
opinion that the number of packages in the tree is actually going up, not
down.  If that is indeed the case, then what we're seeing is simply the
arguably healthy full circulation of packages, both into the tree as new
and modern packages gain interest, and out of the tree as old and
outdated packages lose interest until there's very few if any that even
care about them any more.

OTOH, if it's still building and generally working, has no open security
bugs, and isn't being removed due to removal of dependencies (which would
seem to be what the packages currently under discussion are up against,
they /may/ build against a newer dep, but without a maintainer or anyone
else actually caring enough to bother testing and the old dep being
removed...), general policy /has/ been that it stays in the tree until
such time as one of those test factors fails and no one cares enough to
fix it.  /Then/ it should be treecleaned. And I've been known to post
objections to working packages being treecleaned based on exactly that.

But with the dep being removed here, and no one (yet) interested enough
in them to bother testing with the possible new dep and confirming they
work, in this case, yes, I'd say it's time to remove... of course
assuming that remains the case for the length of the 30-day notice and
masking period, that of course being the very reason /for/ such a public
notice and masking, in case someone /does/ care enough about it to
volunteer to do that testing and confirm that the proposed substitute dep
actually works.