> [...] In that proposal, the one problem mentioned is that the syntax
> would collide with the subslot dependency syntax. For example, right
> now, if I want to depend on SLOT=4 of app-foo/bar and I need my
> package to rebuild when app-foo/bar changes subslots, then I would
> use

>   app-foo/bar:4=

> With the infix change, this becomes a problem if I add an "=="
> version operator on the end:

>   app-foo/bar:4===4.1

> If we're changing everything already, though, can't we adjust the
> syntax for the subslot operators? I didn't know that ":4=" was the
> syntax that we used to depend on both a slot and a subslot. My first
> impression is that it would make more sense to use ":=4", since that
> can be read as "slot equals 4", just like ":*" means "slot
> whatever". It's not a perfect translation, but it sounds better than
> ":4=", and ":=4" looks like a stronger version of ":4", which is
> accurate.

This wouldn't completely solve it, because we also have a := slot
operator. So =app-foo/bar-4.1:= would become app-foo/bar:==4.1
(or app-foo/bar:===4.1 if we also change = to ==) in the new syntax.

Brackets would help, or some new separator. Pick your poison:

   app-foo/bar:=(=4.1)
   app-foo/bar:=[=4.1]
   app-foo/bar:={=4.1}
   app-foo/bar:=::=4.1