On 15/11/16 02:42 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:57:14 -0500
> Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 15/11/16 12:56 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
>>> OpenRC itself doesn't install any tmpfiles.d files, and my plan is to
>>> make sure virtual/tmpfiles and opentmpfiles go stable at the same time
>>> the new OpenRC does, along with at least one package that uses them.
>>>
>>> This will also definitely be covered in the upstream OpenRC news.
>>>
>>> WRT OpenRC pulling it in, it isn't a build or runtime dependency of
>>> OpenRC, and it may not even be needed in some cases, so I'm not sure how
>>> much sense it makes from the OpenRC level to pull it in or which type of
>>> dependency to use for it.
>>
>> I'm with William on this.  As long as the packages that install items
>> (init scripts, whatever) that -do- need tmpfiles.d support depend on
>> virtual/tmpfilesd, this will ensure it's installed regardless of
>> whether or not openrc depends on the virtual directly.
>
> The ebuilds are going to only need a pkg_*-time dependency on the tool.
> While this means RDEPEND at the moment due to our dependency class
> limits, we may have a proper dependency type for it in EAPI 7. In this
> case, the PM will be allowed to unmerge opentmpfiles as soon
> as the package is installed.

The EBUILDS, yes.

This tool isn't just for ebuilds though, it's also for managing
tmpfiles.d processing at boot time as well as (i assume) via
continuous daemon-like operation for the services that install files
into /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/ (apache, libvirtd, lvm2, mysql, samba are
just a few that I have on my own system right now) when systemd isn't
installed.

Or am I wrong on this?  It'd seem odd that we would go through this
just to make a tool for ebuilds to use, if non-systemd systems aren't
going to use it at boot time as well...