> On Dec 5, 2016, at 5:01 AM, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 18:47:48 -0800
> Daniel Campbell <z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Compliance with what? If others desire Quickbook support, they can
>> make a tool to convert from ledger. There's no good reason for a
>> non-profit, libre software organization to use and depend on
>> proprietary software. Did nobody learn a lesson from BitKeeper?
>
> Have you checked that the people hosting Gentoo's infrastructure don't
> use any proprietary software anywhere inside their building either? Most
> cleaning companies use a closed source staff scheduling program. It
> would be a terrible violation of the social contract if Gentoo depended
> upon that.

Fortunately Gentoo does not require any cleanliness standards be met at all.
Otherwise I couldn't be a dev. :P

That is a fairly important distinction here, I think.  If we start using or
relying on Quickbooks then we are locking into that proprietary
platform--getting all the historical financials out of Quickbooks and into
another tool is intentionally hard (I assume--I know it's near impossible with
Sage).  We are not requiring or accountant to use open tools though, if they
want to import our data into Quickbooks to do their work, that's up to them, as
long as we still have the result we need from them.