On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 12:04:04 -0500
Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> For a typical cross-compiler build, CHOST is unchanged from the value
> typically in make.conf, but CTARGET gets set to the "cross" arch.

Yep.

> In the case where we are cross-compiling a native compiler, CHOST
> would be taken from ${ROOT}/etc/portage/make.conf, and ROOT would
> typically be something like /usr/${cross_arch}/. So I think we are
> safe there as well.

I seem to recall installing a native compiler to /usr/${cross_arch}/
resulted in file conflicts but if that's still the case, that's a
separate issue. ROOT may possibly need to change to SYSROOT but that's
also a separate issue.

> What I'm very unsure of is cross-compiling a cross-compiler CBUILD !=
> CHOST != CTARGET. That requires a bit of thought. I'm not sure we even
> really support that in toolchain.eclass though.

This is called a Canadian cross. I can't remember if I ever actually
tried one but I think your change would still be correct in this case.
We don't care about CBUILD in this context.

--
James Le Cuirot (chewi)
Gentoo Linux Developer