On 01/23/2017 04:23 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I've written a short proposal that aims to provide basic infrastructure
for defining mix-in profiles in Gentoo. I've tried to keep it simple,
and backwards compatible. The main goal is to be able to start defining
some mix-ins without having to reinvent the whole profile tree.

Most important points:

1. Mix-ins are applied on top of base profile (which works the same as
before),

2. Mix-ins are supported via 'eselect profile'
replacing /etc/portage/make.profile symlink with a directory, without
need for Portage patching (this is how Funtoo does it),

3. Most important mix-ins are used to construct base profiles which
provides both backwards compatibility and proper targets for repoman
(to avoid having to check all possible mix-in combinations).

Complete text:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Mix-ins

Please review.

On 01/23/2017 04:30 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I've written a short proposal that aims to provide basic infrastructure
> for defining mix-in profiles in Gentoo. I've tried to keep it simple,
> and backwards compatible. The main goal is to be able to start defining
> some mix-ins without having to reinvent the whole profile tree.
>
> Most important points:
>
> 1. Mix-ins are applied on top of base profile (which works the same as
> before),
>
> 2. Mix-ins are supported via 'eselect profile'
> replacing /etc/portage/make.profile symlink with a directory, without
> need for Portage patching (this is how Funtoo does it),
>
> 3. Most important mix-ins are used to construct base profiles which
> provides both backwards compatibility and proper targets for repoman
> (to avoid having to check all possible mix-in combinations).
>
> Complete text:
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Mix-ins
>
> Please review.

Hello Michal,

Excellent work. My cluster development work is (minimal and embedded gentoo) systems that are dynamically able to coalesce into various cluster configurations, very similar to how 'unikernels' work. [1]

I'm curious how 'mix-in' profiles might be used to build from bare-metal up a minimized gentoo cluster, just a skeleton approach using mix-in profiles?

[1] http://unikernel.org/