I recently ran into a REQUIRED_USE constraint that required I select
between berkdb and gdbm for an email client.

Looking through our profiles, I see we have both berkdb and gdbm
enabled "globally".

default/linux/make.defaults:USE="berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam
readline ssl tcpd zlib"
releases/make.defaults:USE="acl gdbm nptl unicode"

Is there any reason to have these USE flags enabled globally?

These USE seem pretty package-specific in scope. On my system, they
are used by around a dozen of 1000+ installed packages. I think it
might make sense to migrate them to appropriate IUSE defaults, or
leave them disabled where they do not provide critical functionality.