On 28/01/17 20:01, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> So, things are a little bit messy right now. We have "stable arches", "arches
> that are ~arch only (but occasional stable keywords can pop up and be
> ignored)", "arches that are ~arch only". In addition, some are always checked
> with repoman, some only with -d or (hic sunt leones) -e flag.
>
> The latter is controlled in profiles/profiles.desc, which designates
> *profiles*,
> not arches, as stable, dev, or exp. I *think* long ago "stable" here was
> supposed to also indicate that an arch is stable, but that connection is
> obsolete (and better should be).
>
> To improve our tree status, below I propose an enhancement for profiles.desc.
> Compatibility and upgrade are discussed at the end of the mail.
>
> Proposal:
> * Introduce a 4th column in profiles.desc
> * Cosmetically modify the 3rd column
>
> Meaning and values of the 3rd column:
> "Does repoman check this profile?"
> - "stable": yes, same as now, becomes legacy value to be deprecated
> - "always": yes, same as "stable" now
> - "dev": only with -d
> - "exp": only with -e
>
> Meaning and values of the 4th column:
> "Does this arch support stable keywords, and how should "arch" vs. "~arch" be
> treated?"
> - "stable": separately check consistency of ~arch and arch tree, both have to
> be OK. This is what repoman is doing now, and is the default if the 4th
> column
> is undefined.
> - "testing": treat "arch" as "~arch" when requiring consistency, do not check
> "arch" alone. Useful if an arch wants to prepare going stable, useful for
> arch
> teams maintaining a pseudo-stable subset for stages. repoman could have a new
> command line switch that temporarily upgrades from "testing" to "stable" (for
> arch team work).
> - "unstable": check "~arch" only, "arch" in an ebuild produces a fatal
> repoman
> error
>
> Compatibility and transition:
>
> 0) Interestingly PMS defines profiles.desc and its fields, but does not say
> anything how it should be used. This could probably be enhanced with the next
> PMS version.
>
> 1) Compatibility: Old profiles.desc and new system
> The missing 4th column is treated as "stable", which is current behaviour.
>
> 2) Compatibility: New profiles.desc and old system
> A 4th column leads to an error "wrong format" in repoman. This is not so
> nice,
> but a pure developer problem (and these can be expected to update repoman).
> Also gentoolkit displays a backtrace.
> Testing shows no impact on "emerge" (portage team plz confirm), meaning that
> broken utilities (repoman, gentoolkit) can be updated to working versions
> normally.
>
> 3) On introduction of the new column, it can be left empty for the moment.
> [...]
Andreas, et al,

How does this compare/contrast/integrate with kent\n's proposal
regarding "profiles.types"? It looks complementary at worst, possibly
much the same at best. Since you're in relatively close contact, perhaps
you could discuss and present a joint effort with possibly plural
schemes? Just my observations! :)

Cheers,
MJE