On 28/01/17 13:32, James Le Cuirot wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:13:53 -0600 "A. Wilcox"
> <awil...@adelielinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Having a file that user.eclass would use to map new users/groups
>> to IDs would be extremely beneficial to me.  I was thinking about
>> diving in to that some time later, after the GLEP 70 work I'm
>> doing, but if someone else wants to take it - please!  That would
>> greatly ease the pain of not only NFS, but swapping data disks
>> around between different / .
>>
>> Consider, for example, one of my use cases for this:  I have a
>> LibreSSL / that I use solely for testing ebuilds against it, and
>> my regular / with OpenSSL.  I share /home and /srv between these
>> two, but the apache, nginx, and charybdis users have different
>> UIDs between them.  Therefore I have to chown -R each time I test
>> LibreSSL.
>>
>> I could use a different /home and /srv, or make two copies, but
>> it's much easier for me to test these apps having my entire
>> normal environment available to me.
>
> As mentioned in my other post, why are you not using idmapd? It's
> trivial to set up on top of NFSv4.

I think you have missed the point.  This is not on a network and this
has nothing to do with NFS of any version.

This is two LVM volumes, /dev/ciall/libressl and /dev/ciall/root,
mounting /dev/ciall/home and /dev/ciall/srv where they belong.  The
kernel is started with different root=, or sometimes I just bind mount
and chroot if I want to run both at the same time.

Nothing to do with networking, just two parallel Gentoo installs on the
same machine that can't agree worth a darn on UIDs/GIDs.

I like the pre_pkg_setup idea spouted elsewhere in this thread and will
likely start using this myself until Gentoo figures out how to guarantee
stability with UIDs.

Regards,
- --arw

- --