On 03/21/2017 10:17 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 09:43:37 +0100
> Kristian Fiskerstrand <k...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> (up to discussion ofc)
>
> Pros for eblits vs the above eclasses:
> - Let eclass/, which is a toplevel directory, be a place for code
>   useful to several packages, not a random dump of whatever people want
>   to share between ebuilds of the same package (yes, I'm looking at
>   you toolchain or apache2.eclass :) ).
> - Eblits being in package directory, repoman checks can be extended to
>   look there.
> - Have a guarantee that eblits are specific to a single package and
>   cannot "leak" to others by mistake: It greatly simplifies changing
>   and updating them.
> - Eblits can be versionned, just the same as ebuilds or eclasses, but
>   old versions have a life expectancy more of the order of an ebuild
>   than that of an eclass. "Newborn" eblits would be expected to be
>   much more frequent than eclasses but less frequent than ebuilds.
> - Eblits being per-package they'd obey to package rules, not eclass
>   rules wrt additions, removals, api-preservation, etc.

This would be a policy question more than a technical one; we could
decide e.g on a package-namespace[a] for eclasses following similar
laxer rules[b].

> Cons:
> - Need a new, somewhat redundant, mechanism.
> - Can be done without new EAPI but is then restricted to src_* phases.
> - Very few consumers at the moment (though, considering the current
>   crusade that's not really a relevant metric to me).

Endnotes:
[a] without changing any PMS (since review requirement is gentoo
specific) it could be done by namespacing using hyphen or whatnot
instead of separate directory.

[b] to the extent more review isn't becoming the de-facto way forwards
for all ebuilds anyways (we'd need better tooling)

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand
OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net