On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 01:04:18PM -0700, Brian Dolbec wrote

> So with a general file name of arches.desc  Is there any other data
> that we want to include in that file?  Possibly migrated from other
> file(s).  In that case a dictionary format yaml file might be best.
> My example below has additional info over what was proposed.

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 10:29:17PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote

> Please don't. Any such sophisticated file formats don't play well with
> standard Unix tools like grep. Also the file will have have to be used
> by tools like app-emacs/ebuild-mode, and to my knowledge there exists
> no solid parser for yaml in elisp.
>
> A simple text file with one record per line has the advantage that it
> can be easily parsed in any language.

  A compromise that addresses both concerns.  How about a collection of
records in the format...

arch:attribute:data

  Examples

amd64:stability: stable
amd64:bits: 64
amd64:description:  Includes CPU manufaturers such as Intel, AMD, others...
amd64:comments: The most common/popular arch in the tree...
amd64:email: amd64@...

mips:stability: testing
mips:bits: 32
mips:description: Risc based achitecture ... (not fact checked)
mips:comments: Primarily used in some laptops and single board development
systems...
mips:email: foo@...

m68k:stability: unstable
m68k:bits: 8
m68k:description: Motorola...
m68k:comments: embedded...
m68k:email: embedded@...

  Hopefully, there's no need to go JSON format (bleagh).  To simplify
parsing, fields for one arch should be clustered together.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>