On 07/10/2017 11:35 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:43:43 +0200
> Pacho Ramos <pa...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Yes, but it's similar as the cases when we need to fix our packages
>> to work with a newer library they depend on. In this case it would be
>> even easier as we can have multiple python versions and switch to the
>> newer one for testing while going back to the stable one (if
>> preferred) later.
>>

> I'm starting to think we need a collection of QA scripts in a repo
> somewhere, optimized for symlinking into /etc/portage/hooks/install/
>
> And make it standard practice for:
>
> - Gentoo Devs to have those scripts
> - Tinderboxers' to have those scripts
>
> That's going to be the only way we can get these warnings in ways
> *developers* will see them, but:
>
> 1. Won't needlessly clutter stable users systems
> 2. Won't produce loads of ebuild bumps that do waves of metadata
> updates for things that don't affect end users.
>
> Presently the only things *like* this require hard-coded QA logic into
> portage itself, which, while useful, pulls us back to the whole problem
> where it might affect users, and becomes tightly coupled to portage's
> release cycle.
>
> We could however make things simpler, and have a package that installs
> these QA hacks into the hooks dir for us, and then it would be a matter
> of simply installing them via opt-in
In addition to the checks that are bundled, Portage already natively
supports custom post-install QA checks in:

* /usr/local/lib/install-qa-check.d
* /usr/lib/install-qa-check.d
* $REPO/metadata/install-qa-check.d

It's just a matter of someone writing and shipping them. I've been very
slowly preparing a collection based on the common type of tinderboxing
bugs that are filed and porting parts of lintian, but I haven't finished
yet.