On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:00:30 +1000
"Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wra...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> My point was that --unmerge is not intended to be dependency-aware.
> --depclean is. As far as I can tell, that is the point others have
> been trying to make as well, when pointing out the differences
> between -c and -C.

Sure but that is easily addressed.

How does emerge know a package is in system profile or a set?
Similar methods or others can be used to determine if a user installed
a package.

In a clean scenario, with a world file that ONLY contains stuff the
user merged directly. Then emerge could simply check that file, against
the stuff it already checks now.

Is it in system?
Is it in a set?
Is it in world?
If no to all, its a dep, warn!

It is really NOT complex, nor does it require complex depgraph or any
of the function of --depclean/-c.

Thus I say once again, mentioning anything to do with depclean is not
relevant and side tracks the discussion. There is no need. If you did
want to actually see if any deps existed. All you need is to see if
there is 1 installed package that needs the one a user is trying to
install. No need for a complete depgrah etc.

There are several ways to go about this that are not complex.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.