Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 10:05:06 CEST schrieb Michał Górny:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> There have been multiple attempts at grasping this but none so far
> resulted in something official and indisputable. At the same time, we
> end having to point our users at semi-official guides which change
> in unpredictable ways.
>
> Here's the current draft:
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Git
>
> The basic idea is that the GLEP provides basic guidelines for using git,
> and then we write a proper manual on top of it (right now, all the pages
> about it end up as a mix of requirements and a partial git manual).
>
> What do you think about it? Is there anything else that needs being
> covered?

TL;DR: I like it; minor comments on the commit message format (surprise). We
should strive to provide consistent standards for it.

> ===Commit messages===
[...]
> If a bug is associated
> with a change, then it should be included in the summary line as
> <kbd>#nnnnnn</kbd> or likewise.

..., for practical reasons in a format that is recognized by willikins.
So, please DON'T do "... fixes #234987".

I suggest we recommend a plain "... bug 234567 ..."

So far, "bug x" in our repository by default refers to the Gentoo bugzilla,
and it makes sense to stick with that.

> The tag part is included in the full commit log as an extension to the
> body. It consists of one or more lines consisting of key, followed by a
> colon and a space, followed by value. Git does not enforce any
> standardization of the keys, and the tag format is ''not'' meant for
> machine processing.
>
> A few tags of common use are:
[...]
> reference a bug,
> ** <kbd>Closes: <nowiki>https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/NNNN</nowi
> ki></kbd>; — to automatically close a GitHub pull request,
> to indicate a fixed bug,

I would like to suggest that *if* such tags are used, we require that they
should always contain a full URL to an issue tracker or code source.

This allows generic referencing of other bug trackers, leaves developers the
option to auto-handle github-specific things, and still (for the purists)
doesn't require mentioning Github in the GLEP.

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
dilfri...@gentoo.org