On 08/12/2017 06:29 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:

> My gut feeling is that the change you want is probably a good thing,
> but it will never happen if you can't provide a single example of
> something bad happening due to the lack of a revbump.

There's an unfixed security vulnerability with USE=foo, so we drop the
flag temporarily. Users who had USE=foo enabled will keep the vulnerable
code installed until they update with --changed-use or --newuse.

Even with the devmanual improvements, the advice we give is conflicting:

  * If you fix an important runtime issue, do a revbump.

  * If you drop a USE flag, don't do a revbump.

What if you fix a runtime issue by dropping a flag? It's more confusing
than it has to be: the USE flag exception interacts weirdly with all the
other rules.