On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 01:22:51PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>   1) require EXTRA_ECONF to enable it.
>   2) hide it behind a masked USE flag.
>
> Both options require about the same amount of work from the user, namely
> editing something under /etc/portage. What do y'all think is the best
> way to proceed? Are there other examples in the tree I could follow?
From a Gentoo Infrastructure team perspective, we'd strongly prefer USE
flags, because that fits better into existing configuration management
tools, almost none of which have handling for EXTRA_ECONF or rebuilding
after EXTRA_ECONF changes (rebuild-on-USE-change is supported).

And please do bring that option back, we do use it for NRPE in a limited
set of cases (eg to avoid hard-coding passwords into the NRPE config).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer