On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 08:25:17AM -0700, Rich Freeman wrote:
> Obviously there can be a balance.  If the hardware is Foundation owned
For the developers that haven't been around a long time, I'd like to
bring up what happened when zwelch forked Zynot from Gentoo.
zwelch personally owned several systems that were hosted at OSL, for
Gentoo development use. The fork was not amicable, and he took the
systems with him.

What has been done since then, is that the Foundation generally owns the
assets it pays for. Some of the assets even have a 'Property of Gentoo
Foundation' sticker on it. If a developer still has Foundation assets in
their possession when they leave Gentoo, and those assets still have
meaningful value (it could be dead or of no further use), the Foundation
will pay to ship them back to another developer or somewhere useful to
the Foundation.

> On the other hand, if the costs are reasonably low there might not be
> much risk in making some small payments to cover specific activities
> that are likely to benefit Gentoo when the person receiving the
> payments already has a history of doing work for Gentoo.  We print out
> stickers and CDs and hand those out at conferences and we don't ask
> what the recipients do with them.  Not every expenditure has to be
> 100% airtight.
The Foundation has already covered embedded systems and parts for
developers. Here's a quick snippet of the past bugs covering those, for
cases where the hardware does NOT live at OSL:
98733(chriswhite, video card),
255274(armin76, parts for sh embedded system),
284517(darkside, ppc embedded system),
343975(darkside, hdd for arm system)
373241(mattst88, parts for mips system)
417399(shipping hardware from darkside to blueness)
474774(mattst88, parts for alpha system)

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Asst. Treasurer