> W dniu sob, 28.10.2017 o godzinie 14∶49 +0200, użytkownik Ulrich Mueller
> napisał:
>> Other tools like "find" don't special-case dot-prefixed files
>> though (in fact, "ls" may well be the exception there).
>>
>> Implicit ignores only create an unnecessary attack surface. Better
>> make them explicit, even if this will require adding some entries
>> for common cases (like .git in the top-level dir).

> I dare say it's not an attack surface if tools are explicitly
> directed not to use those files.

For example, an ebuild can apply all patches from a given directory.
We certainly don't want any unaccounted dot-prefixed files being
injected there. (And yes, globbing shouldn't normally match such
files, but there's at least one eclass setting the dotglob option.)

> The problem is, you can't predict all possible dotfiles and even if
> you do, you're effectively blocking the user from creating any files
> for his own use.

Create files for their own use in random locations in the Gentoo
repository? Why would anyone want to do that?

> Say, if user wanted to use git on top of rsync for his own purposes,
> why would you prevent him from doing that?

As I said before, top-level .git should have an explicit IGNORE entry.

IMHO we should rather stay on the safe side there, unless someone will
speak up who has a concrete workflow where such dot-prefixed files
with unpredictable names are needed.

Ulrich