Michael Lienhardt posted on Tue, 06 Feb 2018 23:53:05 +0100 as excerpted:

> Il 06/02/2018 15:00, Roy Bamford ha scritto:
>> Posting here to alert other potential helpers.
>> Your script uses
>>
>> PACKAGE_KEYWORDS="/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords"
>>
>> but thats a recent name change.
>>
>> PACKAGE_KEYWORDS="/etc/portage/package.keywords"
>>
>> is the old name and my older systems still use that.
>> You probably need to harvest both and process both as portage does.
>
> You are right, I was lazy (and hoped that everyone already made the
> switch because, as I understand it, package.keywords and
> package.accept_keywords do not have the same semantics).
> I added the package.keywords file/folder in the script.

AFAIK, (plain) etc-portage semantics are the same for both files -- that
is, /etc/portage/package.keywords and the newer package.accept_keywords
are identical.

The reason for the new name and deprecation of the old one was that
package.keywords also exists in the /profile/, where the semantics are
different, which created confusion for devs and others attempting to edit
the profile version as well as the more commonly user-edited (plain)
/etc/portage version.

(I add the parenthesized "(plain)" because there's also the deeper
/etc/portage/profile path, which takes profile changes and therefore the
profile format.  Actually, I suspect it was someone editing that using
the wrong format and then filing a bug when things didn't work as
expected that likely prompted the new name and deprecation of the old
one.)

Meanwhile...

I've a rather unusual portage config here:

* /etc/portage/profile/packages contains a -* entry, negating the entire
normal @system set.  Many normally @system packages I really need are
dependencies of something or other I already have in @world anyway, and
I've added @world entries where necessary to keep the few exceptions
installed.

* My USE starts with a -* entry as well, negating profile and package USE
defaults so I have direct control of all USE flag settings and don't have
to worry about USE flag changes on profile updates or tracking down why a
flag is changing when I didn't change anything, both previous problems I
had to deal with until I set that initial -*, so the only flags set are
the ones I deliberately chose, myself.

* My world file (/var/lib/portage/world) is empty.  I've categorized
everything into individual sets found in /etc/portage/sets, with those in
turn listed in the world_sets file (/var/lib/portage/world_sets).

* Overlays... (Less unusual, but still not mainline...) I run nearly all
the kde I have installed (frameworks/plasma/apps), as well as a few other
packages, from the live-git *-9999 packages found in the gentoo/kde
overlay (and others).  Package keywording/masking is adjusted
accordingly.  (Everything else is mainline ~amd64.)

I expect  one or more of these you won't have anticipated so they'll
present a challenge for your current script, but because it /is/ a rather
unusual setup, I'm not sure it's worth your trouble to bother with.

OTOH, if you want unusual corner-cases to test...

So bother sending the results in (you're ready for it already), or you
want them, but wait until you've adjusted the script to deal with it, or
don't bother, you're not going to try supporting anything that unusual
anyway?