On 04/27/2018 08:45 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 12:48:09AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
>> On 04/26/2018 11:34 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:

>>> And depclean being very verbose doesn't do many favours here either.
>>>
>>> ( I regularly do >500 package depcleans and spotting things that aren't
>>> meant to be
>>>  culled amongst that list is a bit of a challenge )>
>>
>> At least for system packages, it will show a warning like the one shown
>> here:
>>
>>    https://bugs.gentoo.org/642484#c0
>>
>> Hopefully that message helps those that are paying enough attention.
>> What can we do for those that overlook the warning message, other than
>> give them some rescue instructions for making their system boot again?
>
> Another option suggested to me was to add a use flag to OpenRC that
> pulls in a dependency on virtual/init instead of adding virtual/init to
> @system. The suggestion originally was to add it to rdepend, but that
> doesn't feel right to me since openrc really doesn't have a runtime
> dependency on init, so I'm thinking something like this:
>
> IUSE="... +separate-init"
>
> PDEPEND="
> separate-init? ( virtual/init )"
>
> Thoughts?

Actually, if things like sys-apps/s6 or sys-process/runit remain as
choices for virtual/init, this isn't going to solve the problem of
sys-apps/sysvinit being removed by emerge --depclean. In fact, if
virtual/init is not in the system set, then emerge --depclean will not
even warn about removing a system package when it removes sys-apps/sysvinit.
--
Thanks,
Zac