On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 19:21:53 +1200
Kent Fredric <ken...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 12:39:43 -0500
> William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't care that we have a wiki, but can we please look into
> > killing mediawiki and look at something with a git backend? It
> > would be very nice to be able to edit wiki pages in markdown or
> > another similar format and use git to control the changes instead
> > of editing in a browser.
>
> 1. Who are the primary beneficiaries of this suggestion?:
>
>   a. People with expert knowledge of development systems and people
>      with Gentoo Privileges
>
>   b. End users who may not be experts, in all things development, but
>      may be able to contribute and consume content.
>
> 2. What compromises in flexibility does this create? Eg: Do suggested
>    replacements have capacity to have arbitrary HTML and templating?
> Or are they restricted to the terribly narrow featureset of Markdown?
>

> If you're optimising for 1-a and your choice of compromise results in
> a reduction in functionality with regards to clear, flexible, and
> expressive content, it will be hard to sell me on the idea.

3)  The ability of someone with a sight disability, the actual ability
to contribute to the project.  We as a project should try make our
documentation accessible to as broad an audience as possible.

I know from personal experience and having worked with such a person,
to make it possible to work with cli tools to be able to interact with
normally browser only visual interfaces which are extremely poor to
work with using a screen reader.  At my work, I personally made a github
python library and cli interface for github, and worked to create
templates for a go-jira command line interface so a visually impaired
co-worker could interact with those systems.

--
Brian Dolbec <dolsen>