On 07/08/2018 02:50 PM, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
> [...]
>                                         Górny wrote:
>
>                                             Is safe git syncing
>                                             implemented already? If not,
>                                             maybe finish it first and
>                                             cover both with a single
>                                             news item. Git is going to
>                                             be more efficient here, so
>                                             people may want to learn
>                                             they have an alternative.
>

>                                         Why complicate things, and
>                                         increase wait for something that
>                                         benefits
>                                         most users, just to give
>                                         alternatives to a few using
>                                         non-default sync
>                                         mechanism. Securing git
>                                         distribution is a whole
>                                         different ballpark.
>

>                                     Let me rephrase. Let's say I'm using
>                                     rsync. This new feature is
>                                     something positive but it breaks my
>                                     use case (for one of the listed
>                                     reasons -- overlayfs, inode use,
>                                     small fs cache). After reading this
>                                     news item, I learn that my only
>                                     option is to disable the new feature.
>
>                                     Now, I would appreciate being told
>                                     that there's an alternate sync method
>                                     that handles secure updates without
>                                     having all those drawbacks.
>

>                                 The thing is, the normal git tree
>                                 doesn't even provide pre-generated
>                                 metadata, and I see then gentoo-mirror
>                                 repo that provides metadata does
>                                 not have commits signed with an release key:
>

> https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo/commits/stable
>
>                                 So I'm really not comfortable
>                                 recommending git to anyone at this point.
>

>                             Wrong twice.
>
>                             Firstly, the canonical URL is:
>

> https://anongit.gentoo.org/git/repo/sync/gentoo.git
>                             (https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/sync/gentoo.git)
>
>                             Secondly, the merge commits (i.e. top
>                             commits that are verified
>                             by Portage) are signed by dedicated key that
>                             is part of the infra key
>                             set. In other words, it works out of the box.
>

>                         Is there any documentation that shows users how
>                         to migrate to git, and
>                         what the pros and cons might be? Maybe its
>                         worthy of its own news item.
>

>                     Maybe. I don't really know, and don't think it's a
>                     good idea to show 30
>                     news item of things users might like on every new
>                     Gentoo install.
>

>                 Well if instructions for setting up git sync and
>                 associated pros/cons
>                 are not documented anywhere then I won't advise anyone
>                 to use it.
>

>             I've attempted to configure it for myself, and this is what
>             it does:
>
>             * Using keys from /usr/share/openpgp-keys/gentoo-release.asc
>             * Refreshing keys from keyserver ...
>             [ ok ]
>             * No valid signature found: unable to verify signature
>             (missing key?)
>

>         Please report a bug and attach your configuration along with keyring
>         version.
>

>     It works after upgrading to openpgp-keys-gentoo-release-20180706 from
>     openpgp-keys-gentoo-release-20180323.
>

> Does Portage not call attention to critical updates?

No, but that might be a nice feature. We'd have to introduce some kind
of standard mechanism via PMS or a GLEP.

> It used to make a special statement for a new stable Portage and
> strongly recommended that it be emerged first. It should probably do the
> same for openpgp-keys-gentoo-release.

Sure, but it this case we have a chicken-and-egg problem, because I
needed the latest openpgp-keys-gentoo-release installed but in order to
do that I had to sync, but then verification failed because I didn't
have the latest openpgp-keys-gentoo-release.
--
Thanks,
Zac