On Mon, 2019-04-29 at 23:23 -0400, desultory wrote:
> On 04/29/19 17:04, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 4:34 PM Dirkjan Ochtman <d...@gentoo.org>
> > wrote:
> > > In this article on chat services used for OSS:
> > >
> > > https://catfox.life/2019/04/28/keeping-libre-software-accessible-to-all/
> > >
> > > I was surprised to see a mention of Gentoo as a project that uses
> > > "Discord as an official method of communication". When I
> > > searched, I indeed found https://discordapp.com/invite/gentoo.
> > > However, I'd never before heard we were using Discord (and didn't
> > > find any mentions of Discord on the -dev or -project mailing
> > > lists).
> > >
> > > Is this indeed an official venue? It's not listed on
> > > https://gentoo.org/support/ (which does mention IRC).
> >
> > Based on the #server-info channel, it looks like this server was
> > created by Cynede. Perhaps they have more information.
> >

> Considering the reaction that I got when I asked him, I would advise
> against bothering with contacting cynede about it. Specifically, when
> asked on irc the response was serial evasive answers and when I
> followed
> up with e-mail the response mentioned the PR project wiki page
> (without
> actually linking to it) and expressly requested that I never discuss
> it
> with him again, that request was followed up with the same request
> being
> made in a public irc channel, just because I was looking for a
> straight
> answer and consistently not getting one. Also, I was accused of being
> sockpuppet for having asked, despite using my gentoo cloak on
> freenode
> at the time.
>
> As I was eventually able to discover, PR (or at least some members
> thereof) describes any site on which the PR project has an account
> (in
> the case of discord this type of account is known as a "server") to
> be
> an "official" communications channel. These "official" communications
> channels are not announced when created and do not have projects,
> even
> PR sub-projects to tend to them, nor are they listed among the
> support
> venues are they are evidently not for user support, as they are
> evidently intended simply for announcements and such they are merely
> listed on the PR project wiki page [PR].
>
> [PR] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Public_Relations

Hello.

Right, alike reddit, twitter, facebook and other PR channels. It's
"official" because it's controlled by PR Gentoo team, every Gentoo
developer have admin rights, we should have 2+ developers as admins, at
the moment there are 8 developers with admin rights but sure not all of
them are active. It's not not official way of getting support or
developers communication however it's official compared to other Gentoo
servers on discord alike Gentoo facebook is official compared to other
Gentoo facebook groups running by random people. It's writtin in PR
project policy.

I've used to explain it few times to several people including
developers and some of people, even from Gentoo, just aggressively
refuse to accept that. That's why we had conflict there. There are
still people who are not fully agree with each other even inside PR
team or possibly there is just some mess with terms.

I'm sorry but your questions was really different, in case if you want
to discuss PR project policy, how things become "official", who gave
those people those rights, what words should be used and things alike
that I'm really slightly tired from those questions and I'd like those
to be escalated.