On 20-09-2019 22:53:53 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-09-20 at 13:46 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
> >
> > If we take this underscore rule to its logical extreme, then we should
> > rename python_targets_python3_7 to python_targets_python3-7, yes?
>
> Believe me, I would have done that already if not the fact that with all
> the dependency logic around here it would be totally destructive to all
> Gentoo systems.

Honestly, with this reasoning, why force other packages to go through
USE-flag renaming in that case?  A major consumer of USE_EXPAND isn't
sticking to the rule, which makes any benefit of it moot.  Tools cannot
assume the last underscore separates the USE_EXPAND var from its value,
users cannot see what is the value either, without knowledge.

Why not teach our tools (equery, quse, etc.) to print these USE-flags
like Portage does?  (looking them up to be valid expands)
Then users have nothing to be confused about (no distinction between
foo_bar and FOO="bar"), and new USE_EXPANDS cannot be
silently/accidentially introduced.

> But hey, expect hyphen on 3.8.

I honestly feel for consistency and not confusing users, we should
either do them all or stick to the current scheme.

Thanks,
Fabian

--
Fabian Groffen