On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 18:16:30 +0200
Ralph Seichter <gen...@seichter.de> wrote:

> Personally, I interpret a bug status of IN_PROGRESS as "somebody is
> working this bug", not "the assignee is working this bug". The latter
> is not as important to the bug state anyway, don't you think?

If you want the "somebody is working on it", then you can just look at
the comments and linked PR already.

But if somebody other than myself marks something I'm responsible for
as "IN PROGRESS" when I've made no such commitment, and haven't even
reviewed the PR for being even tangentially valid, I would be pretty
annoyed.

Because it confers some degree of officalness to it, and no
officialness is granted by having simpley a PR.