On 2020-04-02 15:31, Marek Szuba wrote:

> 3. Test if downstream applications are happy with the new unified OpenCL
> headers required by the Khronos Group ICD loader and if they are, add
> dev-libs/opencl-icd-loader to virtual/opencl as an alternative to ocl-icd;

Quick update on this: today I have attempted to rebuild and test various
OpenCL-dependent packages using the unified headers and
dev-libs/opencl-icd-loader. The good news is, they have all been
perfectly happy with them. The bad news is, I actually had to manually
symlink all contents
/usr/lib/OpenCL/vendors/opencl-icd-loader/include/CL/ into
/usr/include/CL/ for this to work because eselect-opencl contains a
hard-coded list of expected vendor header files.

In other words, it will be necessary to either teach eselect-opencl how
to handle the unified headers or make it possible for it to let the
contents of /usr/include/CL be. Personally I am leaning towards the
latter - it doesn't even handle legacy headers that well (it installs
several versions into /usr/lib/OpenCL/global but in the end offers no
way of switching between them), and in any case even its description
suggests its job is to switch between implementations rather than handle
global headers.

--
MS